The Big Trip: Getting My Birds Out of Quarantine.

This entire process has been a complete nightmare, but it has been made easier by some lovely people who were very patient and understanding. And it’s over now!

I have to thank Leslie at Animal Couriers, who made sure they got here after everything was said and done (and for all her advice); Howard Haas, for putting me on the right path; Dr Koopman and staff at the quarantine centre for answering my myriad of questions; the birds’ caretaker, Rena, who kept them fat and happy and supplied with entertainment; H.W. Castaneda and Margarita, who helped us an incredible amount; my mum, for making the massive trip to New York to get the birds; and finally, my friends, family, and readers, who made this entire journey a little bit easier through both their donations, and simply being there.

Senegal parrot in his IATA-approved travel box.
Preparing to fly to the U.S.

The birds were supposed to exit quarantine last Friday; however, the weather refused to cooperate. For safety’s sake, they could not fly via an airline. The best way to ensure their health was to drive up – six hours each way – and collect them. ย We left just before 8:00, and arrived home somewhere after 20:00.

It was all utterly worth it, all of this stress and trouble, when the staff brought the birds out in their carrier crates, and they spotted me. Both blew me kisses, while Ptak whispered, ‘Baby bird!’

He loves the UV lamp…and being home!

The trip was somewhat hard on them. Parrotlet Ptak did better at first, but was extremely exhausted yesterday. He did insistย on coming out for cuddles multiple times, and was typically refusing to go to bed that night. Glad to know some things never change. Today he is doing much better.

Maverick, our Senegal, perked up more the first day, wanting to play and sit on my knee. I made both birds some fresh chop (kale, broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, and half a coarsely-chopped strawberry), which – shock of all shocks – Mavi ate and enjoyed, despite never having done liked it before. We got the birds a UV lamp, which made an instant difference. One gets the full-spectrum lamp during the first half of the day, and the other, the second half.

Maverick and his Chop.
Mavi and his chop.

Throughout the day yesterday, Ptak was very drowsy – I’m still watching him closely, but I think this is just from the travelling stress – and Maverick has been more aggressive, probably wanting to know why I took him away from his lovely caretaker at the ‘spa.’

You read that right! They had a blast at quarantine and were very well cared for. Their caretaker brought them treats, branches, and toys, and gave them attention where she could. She said she was sad to see them go. It was practically a holiday for Ptak and Mavi, as they were actually living in 8 square foot glass isolets with unique air systems. The fee for quarantine is $400 per bird, so this makes sense.

Senegal Parrot
Senegal Parrot says ‘hello.’

It is wonderful to have them back again. They are settling in nicely. The family likes them too! I woke up this morning and was filled with contentment knowing my flock are near. I don’t mind their noisiness. I don’t mind that they’ll probably chew something up soon, and that they’ve already coated the walls in strawberry.

I’m just glad to have them home and safe. Perfection.

P.S. You should definitely like Students with Birds on Facebook. ๐Ÿ˜€

25 thoughts on “The Big Trip: Getting My Birds Out of Quarantine.

Add yours

  1. YAY!! My love for Ptak, that little fluffball of love and sass, is palpable.
    I’m sure they loved their mini-vacation but are even happier to be reunited with you again; and I’m so glad everyone’s all safe and sound. ๐Ÿ™‚


    1. Ptak is practically the face of this blog – his cuteness charms everyone, hehe. I think they did, but you’re right… they’re DESPERATE for snuggles. Thank you!


  2. Maybe Ptak also had jet lag…. Sweet birds, and I love that they get special light. Glad they were treated well at quarantine, though it sounds like they should have been from the costs (which I suspect are average). Happy you have them home, safe, and happy. Really enjoyed all these pictures. I’ve learned a lot about birds at your blog.


    1. That’s an idea – he is still acting a tiny bit depressed. There are apparently private quarantine centres, and I don’t even want to think about the costs of those…

      And you saying that brings me a huge smile, because it means I have succeeded!


    1. I was surprised. I figured, it was 30 days and then they could put it behind them with the greater benefit of not being re-homed – but being what it was, it wasn’t a trial at all! They are glad to be back, though. Ptak keeps snuggling into my neck, which is very unlike him.


    1. That’s absolutely fine – thanks for sharing! I’m thrilled to have them back, and even to have them painting my walls with blackberry as I speak… We’re all happy campers!


  3. Oh, what a relief! I’d have chewed my fingernails down to the quick with worry.

    Glad to hear they were excited to see you, too. When I go away, even if it’s just for a week, when I come back, Inigo likes to let me know how unhappy he was with my departure: He’ll try to bite me for the first couple of days. Then on the third day, he’s back to himself.


    1. I practically did! I slept so well the first night they were home, just knowing it was over, though.

      Inigo has it right… Maverick has been a bit like that, but he was deprived of much human contact for 30 days, so he was pretty quick to forgive, haha. Scratches won out over sulking. It’s funny how they let us know that stuff is NOT OKAY.


  4. Ooh I just followed your blog, I have my two tiels – and congrats on getting your birds across the Atlantic. But what about the cockatiel? I read that you also have a cockatiel?


    1. Aw, thanks for the follow! I love tiels… sadly, we did lose ours recently (she tried to slip in a door that was closing). It was tough, as I am 3,600 miles away. Quite a shock! I still can’t quite believe it, but at least the others are here now. I’m glad of that!


    1. Thank you! I’m still beaming – and the birds are content. They have learned loads of new words and sounds since coming home.


What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

A Website.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: